A Plus Program
We acknowledge the significance of the high school diploma. We fully appreciate there are those whose journey was filled with challenge and therefore, the achievement represents a tremendous victory. We embrace the traditional Commencement Ceremony as a milestone to be treasured for it symbolizes the beginning of a new chapter. With this having been said, for the students of the Belton School District… we want more.
Given a special opportunity afforded the students in Missouri public schools, the realities of the competitive nature of the job market, and countless data which suggests our young people have much to gain by extending their formal training beyond the high school experience, we seek to raise the bar for the expectation we set for our students. At a minimum and in addition to one’s earning their high school diploma, we press for those in our community to pursue successful completion of the A+ Program requirements.
Why? Successful completion of A+ Program requirements automatically qualifies one to receive two (2) free years of post-secondary schooling at participating community colleges and vocational/technical schools. Simply put, the costs associated with the beginning of one’s new chapter is covered. Stated a bit differently, secondary students in Missouri, who elect to participate and do so successfully, are empowered to receive compensation above and beyond their high school diploma. Again, statistically speaking, those who take advantage of post-secondary education will find their wages over a lifetime to be significantly greater than those who elect to enter the workforce with no formal training/educational program after high school.
The criteria involve the following…
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Attend a designated A+ high school for 3 consecutive years immediately prior to graduation
- Enter into a written agreement with your high school prior to graduation
- Maintain a record of good citizenship and avoid the unlawful use of drugs and/or alcohol
- Graduate with an overall unweighted grade point average of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Have at least a 95% attendance record for grades 9-12
- Score proficient or advanced on a math EOC or qualifying score on the math section of the ACT or Compass
- Perform at least 50 hours of unpaid tutoring or mentoring
Let us review the data regarding our BHS students as we enter the 2017-18 school year. Relative to the above-listed grade point average (GPA) and Attendance criteria the following percentages are “on track” to achieve A+ Program status...
As a community who wishes to see our young people thrive, we must make a conscious decision to communicate effectively and encourage our student and parent community to understand the significance of this tremendous opportunity and commit to an even greater effort. The new bar is set… Graduation plus successful completion of Missouri’s A+ Program requirements.